MOMOYAMA GAKUIN UNIVERSITY

MOMOYAMA GAKUIN UNIVERSITY FOSTERING CITIZENS OF THE WORLD

桃山学院大学
Top > The History of Momoyama

The History of Momoyama

1869

Christian evangelizing activity begun in Japan by the Church Missionary Society (CMS)

1884

Reverend C.F. Warren and other members of the CMS established Trinity Boys´ School in one room of the Holy Trinity Church located in the Osaka Foreign Settlement

1890

Koto Eigakko (Higher English School) founded

1895

Koto Eigakko renamed as Momoyama Gakuin

1902

Momoyama Chugakko (Middle School) opened, the first private middle school in Osaka

1912

Momoyama Gakuin moved to Tanabe-mura (present-day Showa-cho), Osaka

1922

Momoyama Chugakko students served as English-language guides to officers and men that came ashore when a British warship called into Osaka Port with the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Windsor, on board.

1959

To mark the centennial of the arrival of Protestantism in Japan, Momoyama Gakuin University (Faculty of Economics) was established on the Showa-cho Campus. Dr. Geoffrey Francis Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury, who was visiting Japan as an unofficial state guest, attended the University´s opening ceremony and gave a congratulatory speech.

1966

Faculty of Sociology (Department of Sociology) established

1971

University moved to its own independent Tomioka Campus in Nishino, Sakai

1973

Faculty of Business Administration (Department of Business Administration) established

1989

Faculty of Letters (Departments of English and Intercultural Studies) established

1993

Graduate Schools of Letters and Business Administration established

1995

University moved to its present Izumi campus

1998

Department of Social Welfare (Faculty of Sociology) and Graduate School of Economics established

2000

Graduate School of Sociology established

2002

Faculty of Law (Department of Law) established

2006

China Business Career Course (Faculty of Economics) established

2008

Faculty of Letters (Departments of English & Intercultural Studies) reorganaized and renamed as Faculty of International Studies & Liberal Arts (Department of International Studies & Liberal Arts)

2009 50th anniversary of Momoyama Gakuin University, 125th anniversary of Momoyama Gakuin
>Back to the Top
Copyright © 2008 ST.ANDREW'S UNIVERSITY. All Right's reserved